Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Mallaby's: "Bush's Unhealthy Veto"

As the popularity of President Bush’s threat to veto (S.C.H.I.P) State Children’s Health Insurance has grown many different opinions have surfaced on the matter. Within the opinion article I read by Sebastian Mallaby of the Washington Post, it was very clear what his opinion on the whole thing was, although I would have loved to find an opinion article in which my opinion was not the same as the authors I was unable to.
Mr. Mallaby wrote this article in a great fashion, he showed us the different sides of the story but clearly gave me his strong opinion. I loved how he pointed out the facts on the Presidents actions and gives us a slight peek at what the President’s underlining motive could possibly be. At the beginning of Mallaby’s article he points out that President Bush has not wanted to go against Congress on anything really, but he is passionate about this issue? Before reading this article I strongly was disgusted with the President’s stance on the issue and his threats against S.C.H.I.P, however after reading Mr. Mallaby’s article I was almost infuriated. All of this said because I think that everything Mallaby says and points out is head on.
Our president tries to (and does) waste our country’s money everyday on issues and policies that the nations against, assisting citizens to hate him more, but when an issue that over 1/3 the population agrees with comes up he wants to veto it? However, the climax of Mallaby’s article for me was at the end when he points out that could the President’s sudden change in opinion and action be brought on not because of his profound “philosophical” stance, but nothing more than that of a private initiative to look better. This whole issue is a complete mess all the way around and Wallaby points that out.

Here is a link to the article:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/30/AR2007093001035.html

No comments: